Well we all know no one sees lobbyist as a great job in a society and it many became true after Jack Abramoff scandal broke out but financially and politically it is very good job. Good thing about lobbying is you can earn big amount of money legally. Main key is a relation in this job sector. You should have good relation with politicians to be successful in this job.
Lobbying is not an easy job mainly if you are shy or not good in public communication. Persuasion is a great "weapon" on lobbying. Most of the lobbyist is lawyer or ex politician. There are many well-known politicians who became lobbyist after they retire from politics. It’s not unusual for congressman becoming lobbyist after they retire from politics. There are some key players in lobbying in United States like: Patton Boggs, Akin Gump.
Some tips for lobbyist:
1. Don’t be stupid: People when see money they start became stupid. If you are one of the people who cannot handle your emotion after you see money then this is not a job for you.
2. Realize everyone have limits: After you earn money realize that you have limits. If you forget that you have limits on life your situation will be same like Jack Abramoff.
3. Know politics: If you don’t know "game of politics" doesn’t even think about this career. This career depends on how well you know politics. If you know game of politics you may prosper in this career.
4. Know public relation: If you don’t know how to make public relation go and take some classes. You have to be expert in making deals. If you cannot make deals you will stuck being lobbyist for a firm who don’t have even one "relation" inside Washington.
5. Don't expect quick career success: Let me give you general scenario how you can be lobbyist:
Pass High School
Get bachelor's degree in public relations or political science.
Work as intern for about year (usually not paid)
Work on campaign related job.
Work as some lobbyist assistant for some years
Finally you are lobbyist